Friday, January 29, 2010

Does Your Home Encourage Learning?

Score two points for each statement that is “almost always true” of your home; score one point if it is “sometimes true”, score zero if it is “rarely or never true”.
  1. Everyone in my family has a household responsibility, at least one chore that must be done on time.
  2. We have regular times for members of the family to eat, sleep, play, work, and study.
  3. Schoolwork and reading come before play, TV, or even other work. I praise my child for good schoolwork, sometimes in front of other people.
  4. The family visits museums, libraries, zoos, historical sites, and other places of interest.
  5. I encourage good speech habits, helping my child to use the correct words phrases and to learn new ones.
  6. At dinner or some other daily occasion, our family talks about the day’s events, with a chance for everyone to speak and be listened to.
  7. I know my child’s current teacher, what my child is doing in school, and which learning materials are being used.
  8. I expect quality work and good grades. I know my child’s strengths and weaknesses and give encouragement and special help when needed.
  9. I talk to my child about the future, about planning for high school and college, and about aiming for a high level of education and vocation.
If you scored ten or more, your home ranks in the top one fourth in terms of the support and encouragement you give your child for school learning. If you scored six or lower, your home is in the bottom one fourth. If you scored somewhere in between, you are average in the support you give your child for school learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment